Monday, August 17, 2026
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Salient Times Online
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Metro
  • Health
  • E-COPY
No Result
View All Result
Salient Times Online
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Metro
  • Health
  • E-COPY
No Result
View All Result
Salient Times Online
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Emefiele complied with Buhari’s directive to produce redesigned naira notes locally – EFCC witness

Salient Times Online by Salient Times Online
February 4, 2026
in News
0
Emefiele complied with Buhari’s directive to produce redesigned naira notes locally – EFCC witness
585
SHARES
3.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A prosecution witness in the ongoing trial of the immediate past Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Godwin Emefiele, on Tuesday told a High Court of the Federal Capital Territory, FCT, that the redesigned naira notes were produced locally by the Nigerian Security Printing and Minting Company, NSPMC, in compliance with late President Muhammadu Buhari’s directive.

Emefiele is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, before Justice Maryann Anenih, sitting at Maitama, Abuja, on a four-count charge bordering on disobedience to the direction of law and illegal act causing injury to the public.

You might also like

“June 12 Betrayed Again?” — Adebayo Sounds Alarm, Says Democracy Under Siege 33 Years After Historic Vote

ADC: ‘He Sounded A Bit Confused,’ Dele Momodu Faults Ex-SGF Lawal’s Allegations Against Atiku

65,500 Stranded Nigerian Migrants Rescued In Nine Years

In the charge, marked CR/264/2024, Emefiele was, among others, alleged to have between October 19, 2022 and March 5, 2023, disobeyed the direction of Section 19 of CBN Act by approving the printing of 375,520,000 pieces of colour swapped N1,000 notes at a total cost of N11,052,068,062 without the recommendation of the CBN Board and strict approval of the President, Federal Republic of Nigeria, which caused injury to the public.

The offences allegedly committed by him, according to EFCC, were against Section 123 of the Penal Code, Cap 89 Laws of the Federation, 1990 and punishable under the same law.

He, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

At the resumed hearing in the case on Tuesday, while being cross examined by the counsel for Emefiele, Olalekan Ojo, SAN, the seventh prosecution witness, PW7, Chinedu Emere, an EFCC investigator, told the court that Emefiele wrote a memorandum, dated October 6, 2022, to former President Buhari seeking approval to redesign, produce and reissue the redesigned N1,000, N500, N200 and N100 notes.

He said the former President approved the redesign of the naira notes in his minute on the memorandum but directed that the production of the notes be done locally.

“The defendant (Emefiele) sought approval of bank notes attached to the memorandum which had been redesigned already.

“The minute of the former President was that the production be done. He minuted: ‘Approved. But to be produced locally’,” PW7 told the court.

According to him, Emefiele stated a number of reasons for the redesign policy, among which were high counterfeit rate and worsening shortage of bank notes in circulation, as well as hoarding of naira notes by members of the public.

The witness added that CBN raised bills of settlement to Nigerian Security Printing and Minting Company, NSPMC, for the production of the redesigned notes.

Asked to confirm to the court if the naira notes were produced by NSPMC, the prosecution witness answered in the affirmative, saying that, “The Nigerian Security Printing and Minting Company produced the redesigned notes. This is in compliance with presidential directive for local production of the naira notes.”

He, however, told the court that while NSPMC produced the notes locally, they were redesigned by a foreign company, De La Rue.

He informed the court that CBN in 2023 made payment to De La Rue in British Pound Sterling for the redesign of the notes, while it made payment to NSPMC for the production in naira.

The witness further confirmed that De La Rue was the company that originally designed the naira notes that became subject of redesign, adding that the features in the notes were also products of the foreign company.

He told the court that he could not remember if in the course of investigation any of the deputy governors under Emefiele mentioned to the EFCC investigation team if any Nigerian company ever designed naira notes for the Nigerian government, adding that that was not the focus of the investigation.

ADVERTISEMENT

The witness added that Buhari eventually launched the redesigned notes, but he could not remember if the former President raised any complaints against the redesigned notes.

He informed the court that the EFCC investigation team came up with an investigative report after its assignment.

Meanwhile, despite the prosecuting counsel, Rotimi Oyedepo, SAN, objecting to a request by Emefiele’s counsel for the prosecution to make the investigative report available to the defence, Justice Anenih ordered the prosecution to avail the defence with the document to facilitate its defence.

She then adjourned further hearing in the case to Tuesday, February 10, 2026.

Tags: EfccGodwin Emefiele
Previous Post

Senate Seeks Enforcement Of Guidelines On Life-Saving Antidotes After Singer’s Death

Next Post

‘No more vagabonds in PDP’ — Makinde speaks on party crisis, court cases

Salient Times Online

Salient Times Online

Related Posts

“June 12 Betrayed Again?” — Adebayo Sounds Alarm, Says Democracy Under Siege 33 Years After Historic Vote
News

“June 12 Betrayed Again?” — Adebayo Sounds Alarm, Says Democracy Under Siege 33 Years After Historic Vote

by Salient Times Online
June 12, 2026
ADC: ‘He Sounded A Bit Confused,’ Dele Momodu Faults Ex-SGF Lawal’s Allegations Against Atiku
News

ADC: ‘He Sounded A Bit Confused,’ Dele Momodu Faults Ex-SGF Lawal’s Allegations Against Atiku

by Salient Times Online
June 2, 2026
65,500 Stranded Nigerian Migrants Rescued In Nine Years
News

65,500 Stranded Nigerian Migrants Rescued In Nine Years

by Salient Times Online
June 2, 2026
News

Principals, teachers begin nationwide protests over abducted Ogbomoso schoolchildren

by Salient Times Online
June 2, 2026
Ogun Land Dispute Deepens as Sunday Adeyemo Disowns Radio Report, Backs Developer
News

Ogun Land Dispute Deepens as Sunday Adeyemo Disowns Radio Report, Backs Developer

by Salient Times Online
March 30, 2026
Next Post
‘No more vagabonds in PDP’ — Makinde speaks on party crisis, court cases

‘No more vagabonds in PDP’ — Makinde speaks on party crisis, court cases

ADVERTISEMENT
Salient Times Online

Salient Times Newspaper is a product of a dedicated Journalist and a public analyst.

Categories

  • Business
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Food
  • Gist
  • Health
  • ICT
  • International
  • Interview
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • National
  • News
  • Obituary
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • World

Recent News

Customs Intercepts Cannabis, Rice, Other Contraband Worth N3.57bn in Ogun

Customs Intercepts Cannabis, Rice, Other Contraband Worth N3.57bn in Ogun

August 14, 2026
ADC Ogun Chairman Dismisses Petition, Alleges Plot to Destabilise Party

ADC Ogun Chairman Dismisses Petition, Alleges Plot to Destabilise Party

June 24, 2026

© 2023 Salient Times Online. All Right Reserved

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us

© 2023 Salient Times Online. All Right Reserved