Tuesday, August 18, 2026
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Salient Times Online
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Metro
  • Health
  • E-COPY
No Result
View All Result
Salient Times Online
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Metro
  • Health
  • E-COPY
No Result
View All Result
Salient Times Online
No Result
View All Result
Home News

Yelewata Killings: Angry Youths Protest, Demand End To Killings In Benue as Police Fire Teargas to Disperse Protesters 

Salient Times Online by Salient Times Online
June 15, 2025
in News
0
Yelewata Killings: Angry Youths Protest, Demand End To Killings In Benue as Police Fire Teargas to Disperse Protesters 
585
SHARES
3.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

 

 

You might also like

“June 12 Betrayed Again?” — Adebayo Sounds Alarm, Says Democracy Under Siege 33 Years After Historic Vote

ADC: ‘He Sounded A Bit Confused,’ Dele Momodu Faults Ex-SGF Lawal’s Allegations Against Atiku

65,500 Stranded Nigerian Migrants Rescued In Nine Years

Angry youths on Sunday stormed the Wurukum food basket roundabout to protest the alleged killing of scores of residents by suspected herdsmen in Yelwata, in Benue State.

The protesters converged on the Wurukum food basket roundabout Makurdi as early as 8 am to demand action over the alleged killing oon Saturday in Yelwata.

Speaking to journalists, one of the protesters, Solomon Amande, said Benue youths were angry at the deafening silence of President Bola Tinubu, and the governor of Benue State despite the killing of children, women, and the elderly.

An attempt by the Deputy Governor of Benue State, Sam Ode, to address the protesters was resisted as they told him to tell the governor, Hyacinth Alia, to come personally to address them.

They were later confronted by armed policemen and soldiers who attempted to stop them, leading to an escalation and the use of teargas at the protesters.

Some youths at the scene of the protest in Benue State after tear gas canisters were fired on Sunday, June 15, 2025.
However, the defiant protesters said they would resist any intimidation, calling on the President and the governor to take action.

The protest came amid incessant attacks that have resulted in the deaths of innocent people across the state.

Last Saturday, armed men, suspected to be herders invaded Yelwata, leaving scores of residents feared dead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Governor Condemns Attack
Governor Hyacinth Alia of Benue State on Sunday condemned the attack and killing of innocent citizens at Yelewata by suspected criminal herders, saying that nothing should warrant the taking of life.

Alia, who was represented by the Deputy Governor of the state, Sam Ode, on a visit to the scene of the heinous act earlier on Sunday, said he was not resting on his laurels to ensure that the state experiences peace.

He says, “Governor Hyacinth Alia acknowledges and shares in your pains and grief caused by the attacks on your community by criminal elements suspected to be armed herdsmen,” the governor was quoted as saying in a statement by his Chief Press Secretary on Sunday.

Alia said the state government was consistently engaging with federal security agencies, traditional rulers, community leaders, and relevant stakeholders to strengthen security interventions and provide lasting solutions to these persistent attacks.

He, therefore, assured the residents that more tactical teams had started arriving in Benue from the Federal Government and additional security deployments were being arranged for vulnerable areas.

He said response squad teams were also deployed and would be in Benue from Sunday, while strategic community dialogues were ongoing to enhance active intelligence sharing.

“The state’s joint operations units are also being strengthened, and the government will not relent in its utmost commitment to defending the lives and properties of all residents.

“In the spirit of peace and unity, we call on religious, traditional, and political leaders across the state to sensitise and guide the youths under their influence against unlawful gatherings or confrontations that may spiral out of control,” the governor added.

Tags: Benue Massacre
Previous Post

Over 100 cattle die mysteriously while crossing River Benue

Next Post

NDLEA arrests Iran-bound businessman for ‘ingesting 53 wraps of cocaine’

Salient Times Online

Salient Times Online

Related Posts

“June 12 Betrayed Again?” — Adebayo Sounds Alarm, Says Democracy Under Siege 33 Years After Historic Vote
News

“June 12 Betrayed Again?” — Adebayo Sounds Alarm, Says Democracy Under Siege 33 Years After Historic Vote

by Salient Times Online
June 12, 2026
ADC: ‘He Sounded A Bit Confused,’ Dele Momodu Faults Ex-SGF Lawal’s Allegations Against Atiku
News

ADC: ‘He Sounded A Bit Confused,’ Dele Momodu Faults Ex-SGF Lawal’s Allegations Against Atiku

by Salient Times Online
June 2, 2026
65,500 Stranded Nigerian Migrants Rescued In Nine Years
News

65,500 Stranded Nigerian Migrants Rescued In Nine Years

by Salient Times Online
June 2, 2026
News

Principals, teachers begin nationwide protests over abducted Ogbomoso schoolchildren

by Salient Times Online
June 2, 2026
Ogun Land Dispute Deepens as Sunday Adeyemo Disowns Radio Report, Backs Developer
News

Ogun Land Dispute Deepens as Sunday Adeyemo Disowns Radio Report, Backs Developer

by Salient Times Online
March 30, 2026
Next Post
NDLEA arrests Iran-bound businessman for ‘ingesting 53 wraps of cocaine’

NDLEA arrests Iran-bound businessman for ‘ingesting 53 wraps of cocaine’

ADVERTISEMENT
Salient Times Online

Salient Times Newspaper is a product of a dedicated Journalist and a public analyst.

Categories

  • Business
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Food
  • Gist
  • Health
  • ICT
  • International
  • Interview
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • National
  • News
  • Obituary
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • World

Recent News

Customs Intercepts Cannabis, Rice, Other Contraband Worth N3.57bn in Ogun

Customs Intercepts Cannabis, Rice, Other Contraband Worth N3.57bn in Ogun

August 14, 2026
ADC Ogun Chairman Dismisses Petition, Alleges Plot to Destabilise Party

ADC Ogun Chairman Dismisses Petition, Alleges Plot to Destabilise Party

June 24, 2026

© 2023 Salient Times Online. All Right Reserved

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us

© 2023 Salient Times Online. All Right Reserved