Thursday, May 21, 2026
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact Us
  • Privacy Policy
Salient Times Online
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Metro
  • Health
  • E-COPY
No Result
View All Result
Salient Times Online
  • Home
  • News
  • Business
  • Politics
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Metro
  • Health
  • E-COPY
No Result
View All Result
Salient Times Online
No Result
View All Result
Home News

“Procurement fraud’: Court adjourns Emefiele‘s trial to June 24

Salient Times Online by Salient Times Online
April 25, 2024
in News
0
“Procurement fraud’: Court adjourns Emefiele‘s trial to June 24
585
SHARES
3.2k
VIEWS
Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

A federal capital territory (FCT) high court in Maitama has adjourned the trial of Godwin Emefiele, former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), to June 24.

You might also like

Ogun Land Dispute Deepens as Sunday Adeyemo Disowns Radio Report, Backs Developer

Bayelsa Monarch Hails NDDC over Distribution of Palliatives

EID EL FITRI: Gov Diri Congratulates Muslims, Tasks Them On Peace-building

When the case was called on Thursday, neither the prosecution counsel nor the defendant were in court. However, Emefiele was represented by one of his counsels.

I.D Ahmed, who represented the defendant, told the court that the prosecution served him a letter praying for an adjournment.

He also apologised to the court for the absence of his client.

ADVERTISEMENT

Hamza Muazu, presiding judge, said: “Because you have a letter of adjournment from the prosecution does not mean the defendant should not be in court.”

Muazu then adjourned until June 24 and June 25 for continuation of trial.

The federal government, on January 18, amended the criminal charges filed against the former CBN governor.

The charges, formerly six counts, were increased to 20 counts.

The amended charges border on alleged criminal breach of trust, forgery, conspiracy to commit forgery, procurement fraud and conspiracy to commit a felony.

At the previous hearing, the court agreed to vary Emefiele’s bail condition which previously restricted him to the FCT.

The court granted the application permitting the former CBN governor to travel within Nigeria but restrained him from leaving the country during the pendency of the case.

In some of the counts, the EFCC alleged that Emefiele, in January 2023, forged a document titled: ‘RE: PRESIDENTIAL DIRECTIVE ON FOREIGN ELECTION OBSERVER MISSIONS’, dated 26 January 2023 with Ref No. SGF.43/L.01/201.

The EFCC said Emefiele made the claim despite knowing it to be false and committed an offence contrary to section 1(1) of the Advance Fee Fraud and Other Fraud Related Offences Act, 2006, and punishable under section 1(3) of the same Act.

According to the amended charge marked CR/577/2023, Emefiele, on February 8, 2023, connived with one Odoh Ocheme, who is now on the run, to obtain $6.2m from the CBN, claiming that the SGF requested it “vide a letter dated 26th January 2023 with Ref No. SGF.43/L.01/201″.

Meanwhile, the EFCC had also declared Magaret, Emefiele’s wife, wanted for money laundering.

Tags: Godwin Emefiele
Previous Post

Anti-Ganduje protesters storm APC national secretariat, demand his resignation

Next Post

4-year-old boy dies ‘after being fed meat’ in Abuja school

Salient Times Online

Salient Times Online

Related Posts

Ogun Land Dispute Deepens as Sunday Adeyemo Disowns Radio Report, Backs Developer
News

Ogun Land Dispute Deepens as Sunday Adeyemo Disowns Radio Report, Backs Developer

by Salient Times Online
March 30, 2026
Bayelsa Monarch Hails NDDC over Distribution of Palliatives
News

Bayelsa Monarch Hails NDDC over Distribution of Palliatives

by Salient Times Online
March 21, 2026
EID EL FITRI: Gov Diri Congratulates Muslims, Tasks Them On Peace-building
News

EID EL FITRI: Gov Diri Congratulates Muslims, Tasks Them On Peace-building

by Salient Times Online
March 21, 2026
Oba MacGregor Applauds Tinubu Over Appointment of New IGP
News

Oba MacGregor Applauds Tinubu Over Appointment of New IGP

by Salient Times Online
March 21, 2026
Nigerian woman trafficked to Iraq critically ill amid abuse, organ harvest allegations
News

Nigerian woman trafficked to Iraq critically ill amid abuse, organ harvest allegations

by Salient Times Online
March 21, 2026
Next Post
4-year-old boy dies ‘after being fed meat’ in Abuja school

4-year-old boy dies ‘after being fed meat’ in Abuja school

ADVERTISEMENT
Salient Times Online

Salient Times Newspaper is a product of a dedicated Journalist and a public analyst.

Categories

  • Business
  • Celebrity Gist
  • Crime
  • Culture
  • Education
  • Entertainment
  • Fashion
  • Features
  • Food
  • Gist
  • Health
  • ICT
  • International
  • Interview
  • Lifestyle
  • Metro
  • National
  • News
  • Obituary
  • Opinion
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Sponsored
  • Sports
  • Travel
  • World

Recent News

Amotekun Corps Declare Ogun Woman Wanted for Allegedly Jumping Bail

Amotekun Corps Declare Ogun Woman Wanted for Allegedly Jumping Bail

March 31, 2026
The Business Of Bombs :War, Wealth, and the World’s Most Profitable Industry   

The Business Of Bombs :War, Wealth, and the World’s Most Profitable Industry  

March 30, 2026

© 2023 Salient Times Online. All Right Reserved

No Result
View All Result
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Education
  • Opinion
  • Culture
  • Entertainment
  • Lifestyle
  • About Us
  • Contact Us
  • Advertise With Us

© 2023 Salient Times Online. All Right Reserved